My little bread bowl of Indian delights
- Prep time
- Cooking time
- 4 portions
- 4 slices of La Récolte de St-Méthode Old Fashioned Grains Homestyle Bread
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) homemade or store-bought pesto
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) olive or vegetable oil
- Half an onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) fresh ginger, grated
- 18 raw shrimp (21-25), peeled and deveined
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) red curry paste
- 125 ml (½ cup) coconut milk
- 250 ml (1 cup) red cabbage, very thinly sliced
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) olive oil
- Drizzle of red wine vinegar
- Ground salt and pepper
- 65 ml (¼ cup) fresh herb mixture (mint, basil, dill, coriander, etc.)
- Roasted peanuts or cashews, crushed
Preheat the oven to 160° C (350° F).
Using a rolling pin, flatten the slices of bread to a thickness of about 2 mm, and daub them with pesto. Press the slices into small oven-safe bowls or large muffin moulds, and bake for 15 minutes.
In the meantime, heat the oil in a large frying pan over high heat, and sauté the onion, garlic, and ginger for about 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and sear them for 1 minute per side. Add the curry paste and cook for a minute more before stirring in the coconut milk. Continue cooking for two minutes and remove from heat.
In a small bowl, combine the cabbage, olive oil, and vinegar. Season to taste.
Line the bottom of the bread bowls with red cabbage and fresh herbs. Place 4 shrimps into each bowl, and garnish with nuts and more fresh herbs to taste.