French toast sandwich with strawberry jam, Chantilly and maple caramel
- Prep time
- Cooking time
- ½ cup of frozen strawberries
- ½ cup of sugar
- 2 tbsp of maple syrup
- ½ packet of gelatin
- 2 tbsp of water
- ¼ cup of 35% whipping cream
- 1 tbsp of maple syrup
- 1 vanilla bean (split open lengthwise using the tip of a knife and gently scrape out the seeds)
- 1 cup of plain yogurt
- 1½ cups of maple syrup
- 1½ cups of corn syrup
- ½ cup of unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup of milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 8 slices of Campagnolo bread
1. Place the strawberries, sugar and maple syrup in a saucepan. Reduce on low heat for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, bloom the gelatin in the water.
3. Add the gelatin to the strawberry mixture and heat for 5 minutes, whisking vigorously.
4. Let cool completely.
1. Whisk the cream, maple syrup and vanilla together.
2. Add the yogurt at the end and combine using a wooden spoon.
1. In a deep saucepan, cook the maple syrup and corn syrup until a candy thermometer reads 110°C.
2. Remove from heat and incorporate the butter and salt.
3. Mix well until you obtain a smooth texture.
4. Transfer to a jar and allow to cool before pouring over the French toast.
1. Whisk the milk, eggs, cinnamon and nutmeg together.
2. Heat the butter in a non-stick frying pan.
3. Dip the bread slices in the batter and place in the hot pan.
4. Cook on both sides until golden.
1. Arrange the bread slices side by side in twos.
2. Spread 2 tbsp of yogurt on one side.
3. Spread 2 tbsp of strawberry jam on the other.
4. Close the slices and garnish with some maple caramel and a spoonful of yogurt.
*Recipe courtesy of Ann-Rika Martin