Chicken, Brussels Sprouts, and Squash Casserole au Gratin
- Prep time
- Cooking time
30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
5 boneless chicken thighs, cubed
1 onion, chopped
500 ml (2 cups) Brussels sprouts, cut into 4
750 ml (3 cups) butternut squash, cut into 1 cm pieces
2 garlic cloves, chopped
15 ml (1 tbsp) barbecue sauce, homemade or store-bought
15 ml (1 tbsp) Dijon mustard + more to spread on the bread
30 ml (2 tbsp) all-purpose flour
360 ml (1½ cups) chicken broth
4 or 5 slices La récolte de St-Méthode Hemp Bread
375 ml (1½ cups) Gruyère, Jarlsberg, or Swiss cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 160° C (350° F) and place the rack in the centre of the oven.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over high heat, then brown the chicken and onion for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the Brussels sprouts, squash, garlic, barbecue sauce, and Dijon mustard. Continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Add the flour, stir for a few seconds, then add the chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Continue cooking for 2 minutes, maintaining the boil. Pour the preparation into a baking dish.
- Spread some Dijon mustard on the bread slices, then cut them into cubes. Place the bread cubes over the entire surface of the preparation in the baking dish. Top with the shredded cheese.
- Cook in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
*Recipe and picture courtesy of Trois fois par jour