Rainbow vegetarian sandwich
- Prep time
- Cooking time
- Cook lentils in 250 ml (1 cup) of salted water in a small pot over medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- In the meantime, heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat, then cook onion and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add seeds, spices, and sesame oil. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes more, stirring regularly.
- Add sweet potato and cook another 2 to 3 minutes to soften.
- Roughly grind lentils in a food processor.
- Add contents of pan, yeast, salt, and pepper. Grind mixture until it becomes a textured puree (with some pieces). Season to taste.
- Grease a 20 to 23 cm (8 to 9”) square pan and pour in mixture, spreading evenly.
- Cook in oven preheated to 180°C (350°F) for 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool, then cut into 4.
Coriander and lime pesto
- Using a food processor, blend all ingredients into a finely chopped, uniform mixture.
Grilled yellow peppers
- Drizzle peppers with olive oil and season.
- Cook on BBQ at medium heat until skin is blackened.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover, and let cool.
- Remove skins and place peppers in fridge.
Vegetarian rainbow sandwich
- Toast 4 slices of bread and place on a cutting board.
- Garnish each with 15 ml (1 TBSP) coriander and lime pesto.
- Top with ingredients in order of colour: lettuce, yellow peppers, végépâté, grated carrot, tomato, red cabbage.
- Toast remaining 4 slices of bread, spread each with 15 ml (1 TBSP) mayonnaise, and place on top of ingredients to create sandwiches.
- Cut in 2 and serve.