Vegan French Toast with Squash and Sautéed Vegetables
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 4 slices of St-Méthode integral bread;
- 1 cup of roasted butternut squash cubes (30 minutes at 400 degrees);
- 1 cup of cut vegetables (I used sliced white mushrooms and pieces of dinosaur kale);
- 1-2 teaspoons of coconut oil or grapeseed oil;
- Salt and pepper to taste;
- Tahini (sesame butter), to taste.
For liquid preparation:
- 3/4 cup of chickpea flour;
- 3/4 cup of water;
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup;
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar;
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg;
- 1/4 teaspoon of curcuma powder (optional, but gives a pretty yellow color reminiscent of eggs);
- A good pinch of salt and black pepper to taste.
- Put all the ingredients for the liquid preparation in a bowl and mix well with a fork. Set aside.
- Put 3/4 of the roasted squash cubes in a food processor or blender and purée. Add a little water if the purée is too thick. Add salt to taste;
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Melt a spoonful of coconut oil. Salt and sauté the mushroom slices for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown. Add the kale pieces and cook for another minute. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add the other spoonful of coconut oil to the hot pan.
- One at a time, soak the bread slices in the liquid preparation on each side. They must be well covered with the mixture.
- Cook the bread slices 3 to 4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Serve with mashed squash, remaining squash pieces and sautéed vegetables. Garnish with salt, pepper and some tahini, to taste.
*Recipe and picture courtesy of Caroline Huard
Add pomegranate seeds if they are in season!