Mozzarella in Carrozza
- Prep time
- Cooking time
- 4 portions
8 slices Campagnolo Multigrain bread (crusts removed)
1-2 balls (approx. 125g / 4oz) fresh mozzarella (pat dry and cut into ½ cm slices, then strips)
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 tbsp milk
1 cup bread crumbs
1 cup panko
Salt and pepper
Olive oil (for frying)
Stefano Marinara sauce (for dipping)
- Make sandwiches out of the bread and mozzarella, leaving a little margin around the edges unfilled with cheese, and press the edges together with your fingers to help seal.
- Beat the eggs and milk together in a shallow bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place flour in a shallow bowl. Mix breadcrumbs and panko together in another shallow bowl.
- Warm the oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Dredge the sandwiches in flour in order to coat all sides, and remove excess.
- Dunk briefly in the egg and milk. Place in breadcrumb mix.
- Fry in hot oil on each side till crisp and gold, and place on a kitchen towel.
- Cut in half and serve with Marinara sauce.
*Recipe courtesy of Stefano Faita
Take care not to fry the sandwich at too high temperature… you’ll risk grilling the outside before the cheese has a chance to melt on the inside.