Asparagus & Eggs Benedict: Asparagus & Eggs Benedict:
- Prep time
- Cooking time
- 2 portions
- 2 slices of La Récolte Sprouted Wheat Belgian Bread
- 8 stalks of Asparagus
- 2 slices of Swiss Cheese
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 tbs freshly squeezed lemon
- Salt and pepper
Method for the Hollandaise Sauce:
** Before you start, check to make sure that you’re working with a mixing bowl that will fit on top of your pot. I don’t have a bowls dedicated to mixing, so I usually just use a regular soup bowl.
- Melt butter in a small pot.
- In another pot, bring half a pot of water to a boil, and place the bowl on top of the pot.
- In the bowl, whisk together 2 egg yolks.
- Add the melted butter slowly to the yolks- because a Hollandaise sauce breaks so easily, it’s important to temper the eggs - meaning that you warm up the eggs slowly so that they don’t over-cook and become scrambled egg yolks. Always whisk the egg yolks while adding the butter. Once you’ve added all the butter, whisk another couple times, and then stop whisking.
- Add the Dijon Mustard, and the lemon juice.
- Let the Hollandaise Sauce sit. If you turn off the heat, the Hollandaise Sauce shouldn’t continue cooking, but for safe measures, I usually set it in the middle of the stove, so it can keep warm while I prepare everything else.
Method for the Asparagus
- Cut off the ends of the Asparagus, and chop them in half.
- Add a little bit of olive oil in a pan, and sauté the Asparagus.
- Add some salt and pepper. I also like to add a drizzle of honey and balsamic vinegar to my asparagus.
Method for the Poached Eggs:
- Bring a pot of water to a boil
- Add salt and a tbs of vinegar to the pot
- Crack an egg into a bowl (only one egg at a time per bowl)
- Using a whisk, turn the water in one direction to make a little whirlpool.
- Add the egg to the turning water. The egg should fold into itself.
- When the egg rises to the top of the water, the egg is done.
- Toast the St Methode bread.
- Add the Swiss Cheese to the bread.
- Add the Asparagus on top of the cheese to help it melt
- Add the Egg
- Pour the Hollandaise Sauce on top.
- Add some salt and pepper.
*Recipe and picture by Cheryl Yeung