Vegan Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Onions, Apples and Crunchy Almonds
- Prep time
- Cooking time
- 4-6 portions
For the vegan cheese sauce:
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled, cubed and boiled until tender (about 1.5 cups);
- 1/2 cup water;
- 1/4 cup yeast food (yeast flakes, which gives a cheese taste);
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil with a neutral taste;
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch;
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric;
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder;
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Put all the ingredients into a mixer until you obtain smooth texture. Set aside.
For the filling of caramelized onions and apples:
- 1 onion, thinly sliced;
- 1 MacIntosh apple, cut into thin slices;
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar or granulated sugar;
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar;
Salt and pepper to taste.
For crunchy almonds:
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds;
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup;
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika;
Salt to taste.
In a hot skillet, add the sugar and stir lightly until it melts into caramel. Add the onion, spread well into the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add apple slices and balsamic vinegar, stir and cook another 3-4 minutes. Once the onions are well caramelized and the apples are very supple, season to taste.
In a frying pan over medium heat, toast the almonds lightly, stirring regularly. When they start to smell and begin to roast, add the syrup, paprika and salt. Stir to coat well. Roast another minute and remove from heat. Set aside.
For the assembly of a grilled cheese:
Spread vegetable oil or margarine on one side of the multigrain bread slices. On the non-oiled side, place a good spoonful of cheese sauce, the mixture of onions and apples as well as crunchy almonds. Also add some greens, like spinach or small pieces of kale, to taste. Close the sandwich with the second slices with the oiled side out.
In a hot skillet, cook the sandwich about 3 minutes on each side, crushing it with a spatula. Remove from heat, cut into halves or quarters, and serve!
*Recipe and picture courtesy of Caroline Huard