Gingerbread French Toast
- Prep time
- Cooking time
- 1 pack of “La récolte St-Méthode” bread (I used the Home-style bread with stone ground old-fashioned grains)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted (half of 1 stick)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk (optionally use 3/4 cup if your bread is old or very crusty/hard)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup light, medium, or dark molasses (not blackstrap, too bitter)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- pinch salt, optional and to taste
- confectioners' sugar for dusting, optional
- Your favourite toppings (fruits, nuts, maple syrup…)
- Preheat oven at 350F (180C).
- Melt the butter in the microwave for a minute and set it aside to cool down a little.
- Mix together all the remaining ingredients. Add the butter at the end and mix in.
- Cut bread slices in half and line them into a pan (I used 6 slices in a 9x5in loaf pan)
- Pour the mixture on top and in between the slides of the bread, making sure it covers every part. If there is any remaining liquid, tilt the pan to make sure every part is soaked.
- Once at temperature, place the pan in the oven for about 30 minutes or whenever you’re satisfied with the result. Then take the pan out of the oven, dust the French toasts with confectioner’s sugar, add your favourite toppings and enjoy! Happy Holidays!
*Recipe and picture courtesy of Bubbly Lifestyle