Comforting Italian Soup
- Prep time
- Cooking time
- 4-6 portions
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 big carrot, peeled and cut in cubes
- 2 celery stalks cut into pieces
- 1 bag of spinach (6 ounces)
- 1 can of cannellini beans, drained
- 1 small can of tomato purée
- 6 cups of vegetable broth
- 3 cups of La Récolte de St-Méthode 9 grains bread, roughly torn
- ¼ cup of fresh basil, chopped
- Parmesan shavings
Add the olive oil to a big pot at medium-high heat. When it is hot, add the garlic, carrot, celery, onion and bay leaf. Sauté until the carrots and celery are softened; about 5 to 7 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Drop the spinach to the pot and let them cook. Separate the big chunks with a wooden spoon.
After that, add the beans, tomato puree and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil. Drop all of the 9 grains La Récolte de St-Méthode bread, then reduce the heat and let the soup simmer until it thickens a little bit. Once it reaches your desired consistency, remove from heat, add basil and remove bay leaf.
Garnish with parmesan shavings.