Autumn Vegan French Toast with Fried Apples
- Prep time
- Cooking time
- 2 portions
- 4 slices of St-Méthode Quinoa Bread;
- 1 apple thinly sliced and sprinkled with cinnamon;
- 2x 1 tablespoon of coconut oil or grapeseed oil;
- Maple syrup, to taste;
- Tahini (sesame butter), to taste
- 1/2 cup of white beans, drained;
- 1/3 cup of unsweetened applesauce;
- 2 teaspoons of chia seeds or flax seed;
- 1 large Medjool date or 2-3 small ripe dates;
- 2/3 cup of water;
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract tea;
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon;
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder tea (optional, but gives a nice yellow color, reminiscent of eggs);
- A pinch of salt.
- Put all the ingredients for the liquid preparation in a blender. Mix until a smooth texture similar to a smoothie or a soup. Pour into a shallow bowl.
- Preheat a skillet at medium-high heat. Melt a tablespoon of coconut oil. Sauté apple slices 3-4 minutes, until tender and golden. Remove from pan and put on the side.
- Add another tablespoon of coconut oil in the hot skillet.
- Dip the bread (one at a time) in the liquid mixture and cover well on each side.
- Bake bread slices 3 to 4 minutes per side, until golden brown.
*Recipe and picture courtesy of Caroline Huart
Serve with roasted potatoes, maple syrup and tahini (to taste)